Arriving in Madrid

 Wednesday, March 25, 2026

It is dark when I land in Lisbon on my way to Madrid. Local time is 4.44am, which is 1.44am Brazil time. I have dined and tried to sleep on the plane, without much luck, and I am bone-tired when I settle in the lounge for the 3+ hour wait for the connection to Madrid. Flying across the countryside in the bright daylight Portugal and then Spain look dry and pale, broken by the surprise of snow-capped mountains


It's unexpectedly warm and sunny when I land in Madrid. Taxis are plentiful and have a fixed rate, thus minimizing stress for the traveler. I have booked a small studio near the Plaza Mayor, which looks perfect for me

After a shower and a rest I walk around my new neighborhood, visiting the busy Mercado São Miguel full of tempting foods and drinks


And the imposing Plaza Mayor, just around the corner


It's challenging to follow the GPS directions on Google Maps for my return to the hotel. I trawl up and down the same narrow cobbled streets several times, until I finally take the right turn - back to rest up for the remainder of the evening and be ready for my first adventure tomorrow: The Museu do Prado.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My seventh and last day

My fifth day

My second day